Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Light at the end of the tunnel

My current job is breaking up with me. I'm glad. It was making me insane. I'm talkin' ka-ray-zee insane. Like, "the prices are insane!" It was only a matter of time before I broke up with it, so I'm actually pleased to have a clear exit strategy [wink-wink, check out the iRack] for my current slave. You could probably tell from some of my posts. They are rich with venom.

If anyone ever tells me that the job that they're at is a bad fit, I will now have perfect clarity on the situation. I'm talkin' perfect like Alexander Overwijk draws a freehand circle.

The good thing about all this is that I know what I don't want to do, so I'm interviewing like crazy, and I'm focusing my efforts on finding something somewhere that makes my happiness happy.

I've got some amazing friends and colleagues who've turned me onto other opportunities, and I'm pursuing them like Mark Foley goes after an underage man-brad.

So who called me today out of the blue for a pre-screen? This was for a job I thought wouldn't amount to a callback given they get somewhere around 1,000 resumes for a single job. Google. How sweet is that? Not just because it was Google, but because after months of fitting a square peg into a round hole I was getting to feel pretty negative, and now that I'm fully injected into the employment vein it's nice to know that I at least warrant a pre-screen from the Fortune-rated Number 1 company in the U.S. at which to work.

We'll see what happens. Regardless of the outcome, at least I have Stuart Smalley's teachings to keep me going.As a postscript, during my initial plans for hari-kiri I found the Commencement Speech to the Stanford graduating Class of 2005, as delivered by Steve Jobs. It was a good read, and highlights how the bumps in the road of life shouldn't be seen so much obstacles, but as experiences that should be taken as new opportunities...not to get all Tony Roberts on you.

No comments: